Addiction specialists can help to guide individuals to uncover the underlying causes of their addictions.
Individuals in our outpatient programs will have the opportunity to meet with a therapist weekly to have individual therapy sessions. Although group therapy and family therapy are also available as part of holistic addiction treatment, individualized therapy sessions dive deeper into the underlying causes of addiction and addressing specific addictive behaviors so that recovery skills are developed. Some of the benefits of individualized therapy include:
- Allowing the addiction specialist to develop custom therapy approaches specific to individual needs
- Allows for an inward look at an individual’s motivation for recovery
- Helps individuals to comprehend and put to use knowledge learned in group and family therapy sessions
- A trustworthy individual and environment to work through psychological aspects of addiction that may be too delicate to touch on in group settings
- Helps to provide individuals with the coping and relapse prevention skills they need to live a quality sober life once addiction treatment services conclude
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Individual therapy sessions are often based on the psychological approach of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy or CBT. CBT is often used as a method of traditional addiction individualized therapy because it works to address the behavioral aspect of addiction. Addiction specialists utilize CBT methods informed by advances in mental health and addiction treatment. Addiction is a disease that causes individuals to behave according to their addiction’s desires, so it needs addressing throughout treatment. CBT also helps individuals address their negative emotions about treatment so that they are better equipped to gain healing and knowledge during their time in treatment. The benefits of CBT include:
- Addressing behaviors of the individual in treatment that lead to addictive tendencies
- Addressing stressful factors that may inhibit an individual’s growth in recovery by learning helpful coping mechanisms
- Addressing negative thoughts, emotions, and even beliefs that have led to addictive behaviors so a change in perspective can occur
- Goal specific drive throughout therapy so that advancements are recognized and maintained
Trauma brings about many emotions that are too heavy to bear. Many patients seeking help with addiction have had traumatic experiences that have led to the development of addiction through unsuccessful substance self-medication. Individualized therapy in addiction and trauma treatment allows these individuals to have a safe way to express the emotions stemming from their traumatic experiences so they can learn coping mechanisms that will help them to stay sober in early and late recovery.
Traumatic experiences that are left unconfronted can lead to relapse triggers and unsuccessful recovery, so it is important in individualized therapy to discover and approach these traumatic issues so individuals have a better chance at recovery success. Addictive behaviors are sometimes a result of dealing with traumatic experiences, so addressing trauma throughout individualized therapy sessions is addressing the cause of addiction rather than symptoms of addiction, which is a much more effective addiction treatment approach.
A Deeper Look at the Self with Individual Therapy
Group therapy is great for practicing skills that are learned throughout treatment, but individualized therapy is where the skills are learned. During individualized therapy sessions, it’s just you and the therapist. This promotes an environment of trust so that patients can practice honesty, effective communication, and the expression of emotions in a safe place. Our therapists know how important the factor of privacy is, so patients can feel free to unpack their burdens and dig deeply within themselves to discover how to be successful throughout addiction recovery.
Are you sick of the consequences of addiction that are keeping you from achieving your goals? Do you wish for success without the carried weight of addiction? Are you ready to make a change in your life for the better? You are not alone! Find out what individualized therapy can do for you and join the recovery community through Asheville Recovery Center’s helpful addiction treatment programs today by calling 828-518-6996.